Corak – Your specialist for planning and advice.Construction expertise – Quality assurance – Construction physics – Construction site monitoring – Microbiological laboratory – Moulds
Corak provides services for all aspects of construction, quality, safety and regulatory compliance. For whatever building project you have, be it in industry, housing or civil engineering, we provide important services for sustainable improvement in construction quality, significant risk reduction and accurate cost control. We offer services and solutions that really make a difference.
All investigations of structural damage and construction defects are always carried out by our engineers with the greatest care, whether we deliver an expert opinion for a client, or for a court case. Our customers mainly include insurance companies, courts and planning offices, but also industrial companies, property owners and governments.
Our areas of expertise include
- Facades and roofs
- Concrete and steel components as well as wooden structures
- Technical equipment, such as HVAC
- Moisture and water damage
- Crack formations and building movements (surveying)
We perform independent quality audits which provide security to our clients, analysing cost and quality of execution (orders and supplies), leading to sustainability and reduction in production costs, and lower future maintenance costs.
- Audit contracts, budgets and planning documents
- Create audits on the construction site using investigation plans
- Quality control and technical inspections on the construction site, using test plans as a basis
- Acceptance and final checks
- Check contractor billings and cost controls
We consider the interaction between the use of inner and outer spaces, as well as specific material properties and legal requirements in our construction physics activities. One can only develop sustainable buildings with high thermal comfort and low energy consumption only through the use of accurate building physics investigations. Construction physics deals in a targeted manner with the requirements for energy consumption and the indoor environment, and defines the technical requirements on the building shell in relation to heat, moisture and sound insulation.
- Energy and sound insulation audits
- Consulting and calculations (heat, moisture and sound insulation)
- Implementation audits during the construction phase
- Technical material investigations and advice
- Sound, moisture, heat, comfort and indoor environmental measurements
- Check air tightness (blower door test)
We measure and monitor buildings and excavations for movement (sinking and subsidence). We install crack monitors and capture movements and vibrations online, thus allowing us to intervene immediately. Our customers primarily include planning offices (architects and engineers), and also industrial companies, property owners and managers as well as companies in the construction industry.
- Recording and logging cracks
- Crack monitoring
- Levelling, settling and subsidence measurements
- Vibration measurements
We sample room air, construction materials and components, and check these for possible fungal infestation and possible pollutants. Thanks to our knowledge in both the field of microbiology and construction, we can assist many types of clients. Our clients include property managers, homeowners and tenants, architects, construction biologists and environmental engineers as well as fungus and mould specialists. We provide services for listed buildings, companies with high hygienic requirements, swimming pools, hotel and spa facilities.
- Capture and assess sample materials (air, water, materials)
- Test odour formation
- Assess air and material samples for contaminants (such as VOCs, MVOCs, CO2 and fine dust)
- Inspect for moisture and water damage
- Monitor indoor environments and air composition
- Hygiene monitoring
We take air and material samples, and examine them in our laboratory. Problems with mould infestations and health in living and working spaces have increased in recent years, particularly in connection with requirements for sealed building shells. Humidity is the most important contributor to mould formation in buildings. Moisture in interior environments is usually the most limiting factor for microorganisms like moulds. Cold corners and surfaces increase local moisture, and thus promote mould growth. A localised humidity of at least about 80% is usually sufficient to promote the start of growth. If the mould infestation occurs over a sufficient area, this can lead to health hazards. Moulds can trigger allergies in a small number of people.
- Air sampling and taking contact samples
- Determining intensity of the infestation
- Determining the mould species
- Development of rehabilitation concepts
- Acquiring indoor environmental data and surface temperatures
About usWe use common sense. We understand technology. We use creative, entrepreneurial smarts in a cooperative, interdisciplinary manner, across national and trade boundaries.
We are independent, and are among the most creative engineering and professional offices in Switzerland.
In our Engineering and Diagnostics departments, we work with structural issues and building physics, as well as energy and material-specific topics, and microbiological investigations of residential and work areas.
ContactIn addition to our head office in Zurich, Corak has further offices in Basle, Berne, and Chur.
Phone+41 43 311 85 25